Wednesday, April 27, 2016

Week three feedback!

Aloha e na haumana!
We are coming into week three of our intense English class and I am seeing some patterns. Please read this post c a r e f u l l y . We will be able to make improvements all together. 

When you turn in your assignment you need a clear title: your name, number and title of assignment. Make these flush RIGHT on your page.

Title your google document with Your Name,  Assignment, #. For example: "Kawika Essay #1 Ola Pono"


*IMPORTANT*
Do the actual assignment. Answer the question I ASK, and answer it exactly. Add your own creativity, your own spin, but ANSWER my assignment. On MANY of the book reports I couldn't tell which option you chose. MAKE IT SO CLEAR IT GLOWS IN THE DARK.


For book reports, books that are not on the list have to be approved!

If you don't understand a word in an assignment, like "Collage," LOOK IT UP. 

I am grading you based on the changes you make between your first draft and your final. When I look over your draft, I make suggested edits, and I give detailed instructions for how to improve IN THE RUBRIC ON THE BOTTOM. Make those changes and you will get a very good grade! Ignore them and you will not!

DO NOT REJECT MY SUGGESTIONS. When you press that little X next to my suggestion it sends me an email saying you have rejected my suggestion. THAT IS BAD.


If I make one suggestion, for example, turn an i into an I, you go through and do the rest on your own. I am not going to fix every mistake for you in the suggested edits. Once I've told you what the problem is and how to fix it, you need to do it for all the other mistakes. 

REREAD your work, at least once, preferably out loud to somebody else. If it doesn't make sense to you when you read it, change it. 

If you see red underlined spelling errors, change them. You can do that by right clicking on the word and looking at the suggestions. 

Tone! Part of the six traits rubric is your tone. You MUST be respectful of your audience. In this case, your audience is ME! If you write an essay about how stupid your teachers are, YOU HAVE FAILED ON TONE. I don't actually care if you DO think that, in your essay, you show your audience respect. 

Say it with me kids, "You cannot be persuasive while being RUDE." One more time for the people in the back! "YOU CANNOT BE PERSUASIVE WHILE BEING RUDE!"

Okay, *end rant.*

Spell out gonna, wanna as "going to" and "want to." How we talk is different from how we write. 

VERY IMPORTANT! Do not plagiarize!!! That means, do not copy and paste ANYTHING into your essay. Do not borrow anybody else's words or ideas or images or ANYTHING, without putting them in quotes and saying where you got them from. The next example of plagiarism I see will be an automatic FAIL! 

Okay, let's end on a more positive note.

I have been very impressed with your consistency! We have had almost perfect turn-in rates with the essays.

You guys are doing some very creative and interesting things with your book reports-- I loved the video tool that many of you used! 

You guys are getting the hang of the essay format! Your hooks are getting more interesting, and your paragraphs are getting more clear and more organized!

Many of you are very funny and you are able to put your own wonderful voices into your essays! That makes them really fun to read. 

I am confident that by the end, all of you will be able to write a super clear and well-thought-out essay that is a pleasure to write and read. 


Me ke aloha!
--Kumu Becca

Need more information? 

No comments:

Post a Comment