Wednesday, May 11, 2016

Week 4 Feedback

Aloha! Here are some notes for this week.

Make outlines of your essays before you begin. 
Your intro needs to say the three main ideas you’re going to talk about.
Then talk about those three main ideas in the three body paragraphs.
Then sum them up again in the conclusion.

Book reports: choose one option. From now on, please INCLUDE which option you are choosing in your finished book report. 

If you made a Prezi-- resend! You all invited me to collaborate or edit, but none of the links work. Instead, find a link to SHARE it with me. There may be other ways as well-- possibly to upload to Youtube? None of the Prezi book reports have received a grade. Get those to me ASAP so you can get a grade. 

I MUST have your drafts by Wed 2pm to guarantee corrections. If not, I probably will not get to you in time. If I don't get a draft from you on time, you will be graded based on EVERYTHING in the 6 Traits Rubric rather than just my yellow highlighted comments and suggested edits. 

My grading schedule: Sorry! I am still working through the grades! If you are missing something, I have already let you know. Remember, the most important feedback is not the GRADE. The most important feedback is what I write I write in the rubric of your first drafts.

Why are you getting bad grades? I grade based on the amount of change and improvement from first draft to final. If all you did was change the spelling of  few words, you're going to get a bad grade. If you added sensory images and strong evidence and interesting connections to your own life, you will get a good grade!

Good writing is saying a complex idea simply. Bad writing is saying a simple idea in an overly complicated way. Beware of little filler words that make your writing sound fancy without actually improving your idea. 

Make the changes I suggest. Answer the questions I ask. Fix the problems I point out. If in my comment I tell you, "This is not a good source. Use one like this:" I want you to change the source in your final draft.

Finally, do you guys remember Dora the Explorer?? Remember how she always had a Map? And it was ridiculously simple with the three places they were going to go? Then then went to those places? And then at the end they said, "We went to these three places!!" THAT IS HOW YOU WRITE AN ESSAY. 


In the introduction, tell me where we're going.  I need a roadmap sentence in the introductory paragraph. Then in the three body paragraphs, take me to those ideas. In the conclusion, tell me where we went. Vamanos!

Mahalo for all your hard work! Keep it up! The end is in sight!
Me ke aloha!

Kumu Becca 

I ka ‘ōlelo no ke ola, i ka ‘ōlelo nō ka make.

No comments:

Post a Comment